Saturday, December 12, 2009

They Don't Want Me to Leave

It was my last day at work. I was in a hurry trying to get everything done. All the people who have had their last day had been organized a small coffee party. One girl got a big bunch of sunflowers because she's so bright and cheerful all the time. I was waiting for a big bucket of sour grapes. I got books and only very careful attention. Well, it's ok. I like books a lot better because they last longer.

My workmate was counting the money and I signed out, put my keys and the name tag in an envelope. I was told that there would be someone at the main door. It would have been smart to wait my workmate and she would have let me out. None of the other doors work without the electric key. The large door customers use was already bolted so I went to the microfilm room. I was pitch dark. I found the swing doors and there was a huge bolt. I went to the end of the room an found a door I got open. I went throught some swing doors in the darkness and got into the entrance hall. The main door was locked and bolted. So I panicked. I tried yelling my workmate's name. I found a door and went down to find another locked door. I panicked a lot more.

I got back to the entrance hall. It was pitch dark and every single door was bolted and locked. The alarm system would go on at 8.30. My final plan was to wave my arms to wake the motion detector. But I didn't know how big an alarm it would be and would there be police cars and everything and I would end up in the evening news... the idiot who got locked in the National Library of Finland.

I found a phone and because of the darkness and I honestly couldn't tell if everything was turned off or protected with alarm I got the bright idea to call the Emergency number. I know I should have called the security because I only was going to get very hungry and probably get a bad migraine. I couldn't find a number or anything. The person who answered told me to calm down because it was not dangerous to be locked up in the National Library. He asked if there was any numbers. I told I couln't see anything. He asked if I had a cell phone that I could use as a light source. God, he's smart! I had a phone and finally found a number instead of a speed dial and name. It was like in a bad sitcom because I talked in two phones simultaniously. The emergency person told me to hang up because the line could not be kept busy.

The guard said it takes a while to come and told me to wait. I went to the window and thought about scarying the passer-by's. I saw the Helsinki Cathedral to turn lights off. It was making me quite freakt out. I thought about taking a photo because I probably would not be locked in the National Library ever again. Or writing something on Facebook. Or updating my story about the Absurdistan. Everything was so dark. Finally I could hear something. It took forever. Then a door opened at the other end and the guard lead me out through the Southern reading room, Rotunda, personnel corridor, a small inner garden, mail delivery corridor and finally out. It was the long route because of the locked doors and alarms. I was toldthat I was in one point standing close to motion detector alarm because I was staying in doorway afraid that door would get locked too.

The guard told me that people get locked in all the time and it hardly would be any news. The person I had called to came too. I had to show my brand new passport to be identified. I started laughing. Finally it was very funny but it's odd how the absurd is catching me all the time. How do I end up in situations like that?

1 comment: