Friday, December 11, 2009

Living in Absurdistan

I like Finland. Nothing ever happens here. It's safe and wonderfully dull. But something has made this everything really odd.

It's my last day on this job. When I had been here couple of weeks a workmate brought me a beautiful glass heart from Venice. I made a necklace of it with two glass pearls. Today another workmate brought me something that looks exactly like the necklace but the heart was missing. What had the thing done on her desk for so long? She found it some weeks ago. The weird part is that I never knew it was missing because I just saw the thing at home.

Recently I bought a small green prayer chain for 30 cents. Some days later it had mysteriously disappeared from the metal ring I put it on. I hope the finder is happy.

One night I was pondering about whether I should check if my bonuscards are on their places or is it just dumb. Sometimes I feel the need for checking my stuff. None of the cards are for buying. They are always in the same place and have no use for the others so I fell asleep without checking. Two days later I was paying my groceries and couldn't find the bonuscard. I felt weird remembering my thoughts from that night. Where can a thing go from its place? I found it later in one shop I had used it in earlier.

Once I found a ribbon on the ground and took it home. At home I noticed my cardigan had only one ribbon left. Later I lost one of the ribbons again, this time for real.

Ten years ago I was turning my cell phone off when it rang. My father was perplexed about the fact I wasn't at home and told me he had left the computer at my neighbor. I had been in school at those hours since 1986 except on vacations. What computer?

I had a job interwieve today. I have spent a good part of my life studying because I think it's important. I have had a good work now too. At the interwieve the people were worried about the fact I might be too academic and would be into reseach rather than the ordinary office-type work they needed me for. I told them I can mob the floor for them if needed. I do any work. They told me the cleaner takes care of that but the bookshelves may need wiping. I said "Yeah, I'll do it". I got the work.

I had a friend who worked at a grocery store. My father took me to the store to buy exotic fruits. I choosed mine and he choosed his and we went to my friend. She bleeped the fruits on the reader. Then she lift up a coconut with a price tag on it and said: "This is not a mango". The price tag said "mango". I looked at my father, then my friend and then the nut that thought it was a mango. We went back to find the price for the coconut.

At home I hit the nut on the weak spot as one saleswoman had adviced me earlier in the store. I ate the flesh. Later I bought a new coconut. I took the water out through the weak spot like earlier. Then I put it the weak spot up as earlier. I hit with the hammer like earlier. Nothing. I hit again. Nothing. I call my father. "How do you open this thing?" He told me the same I just did.
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang... He could hear it on the phone. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang... Have you ever talked on phone with a person who is trying to broke a coconut at the same time? My father has.

No comments:

Post a Comment