Saturday, December 5, 2009

Seasons of the Rain

I have a friend in US. We write a lot to each other and I love it more I can describe. The discussions have brought me to think about the differences of culture of the geographical point of wiew. The first thing was that we presumably have intolerable winters in Finland. Oh my, I almost wish it was true. We have had two of those during my life time. One was in 1986, -30 degrees Celsius in the Southern Finland. The second was 2000 or so. It was -51 degrees Celsius in Northern Finland and about -30 in Helsinki. In case you didn't know -51 is the freezing point of hell. I don't know how anyone got through it even if they wore everything they owned and sat beside the radiator all the time, as I've heard. That bad it very seldom gets. The Summer starts later and it's warm very late in the Autumn. And it rains through the Winter.

I'm not a friend of warm climate. I live here because I enjoy the Four Seasons and even the fifth season called Kaamos the Northern countries have. Kaamos is a word for the period the Sun stays under the horizon or at least very close to it. It makes the Northern Winter so dark. But if there's snow it's not so dark at all. The climate change is making the Equator coutries to boil where is already was too hot and the Northern countries to lose all light during the cold months.

Can you people stop ruining our future with those SUVs, plastic items made of oil and destroying the rain forests for palm oil farms? I collected a short time all the small plastic packages of the frozen vegetebles I usually buy because they are so easy to use. The amount made me disgusted. I don't buy them anymore. It's a small contribution but we all can do something. And it actually saves your money! Please try.

No comments:

Post a Comment