Monday, December 21, 2009

For the National Economy of Estonia

I and my friend took the boat to Tallinn to buy some yarn. We were planning the day ahead in the cabin and the other travellers were mostly drinking ahead. Dunk dunk dunk... the Ship Police! You have some illegal drinks in there... We decided to take breakfast and then sleep a little.
Dunk dunk dunk... The police... Open the door...

We went to the Karnaluks yarn market. Karnaluks sells everything for yarn and fabric crafting. I had a small list with me so I wasn't totally confused between all those shelves and boxes. Karnaluks is good for buing European yarn for really ridiculous prices.

Next stop was in Kaubamaja. There is a small yarn store. I found there Tunisian circular needles which Karnaluks didn't happen to have. Then we continued to walk to Old Town. There was a new hand arts store with some very good quality Estonian wool. I bought a kilo of some Estonian merino wool that only had been there for two days.

Near the Town Square there is a store called VaTa. They sell some Turkish yarn. The brand is called Yünteks. I bought everything that I could afford because they don't sell that stuff in Finland.
I write more about the shops and yarns later in new chapters.

The trip back went well. We tried to sleep. The others did not. Dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk... the police! Open the door! ... dunk dunk dunk dunk...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Talinn is in Estonia! Very cool to hear a first hand description of buying yarn there. It sounds very exotic to me. Maybe you can post pics of what you bought!!

    ReplyDelete